WHAT IS WATER BAPTISM?
The word “baptize” means ”to dip” or to “immerse”. To be baptized is to make a
public declaration of your decision to follow Jesus. It is not a means of salvation.
Salvation comes through repentance and belief in Jesus, and then baptism follows
as a symbol of those actions (see Acts 2:38, 8:26-38).
WHY DO WE BAPTIZE?
- Out of obedience to Jesus’ command (Matthew 28:19-20).
- To follow the example of Jesus (Matthew 3: 13-17).
- As a public identification with Jesus and His Church (Matthew 10: 32-33).
- As a symbol of the change that has occurred in us when Jesus came into our lives (Romans 6:4-5).
- Washing away our sins (we enter as we are and come out clean)
- Death to our old self (immersion represents being buried at death)
- Resurrection from death to new life (coming out of the water as a new person
- Walking in newness of life (we walk out of the water into a new lifestyle)
- To demonstrate a good conscience before God (1 Peter 3:20-21).
- To demonstrate our commitment to follow and serve God (Romans 6: 4-14)
WHEN SHOULD I BE BAPTIZED?
Baptism is not a symbol of Christian maturity. It is a symbol of the beginning of
the Christian life. Therefore, there is no need to wait a specific period of time
before getting baptized. You can become a Christian and get baptized a few
minutes later (see Acts 8:34-38).
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED?
All who have repented of their sins and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Saviour
(Leader and Forgiver) should be baptized (see Matthew 28:19-20, Acts 2:38).
I WANT TO GET BAPTIZED… WHAT DO I DO?
Great!! We would love to meet you. If you want to get baptized, please contact us by phone, email, or our contact page. A pastor will contact you shortly to tell you about the next step. You can also read through all the passages that are referenced in this brochure to make sure you have a good Biblical understanding of the decision you’re making.
WHAT TO BRING TO YOUR BAPTISM
- A large towel and a change of clothing.
- A dark coloured shirt and pants or shorts to wear in the water.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AFTER?
- Expect God’s blessing in our life. He always blesses steps of faith and obedience
- Expect to feel freedom (Romans 6:16).
- Expect an increase in faith as a result of your public confession (2 Corinthians 9:13).
- Expect spiritual attack (potentially doubt or negative circumstances). Our enemy doesn’t like it when we obey God, but we can overcome him! (James 4:7)
- ”Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise
God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ,
and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else.” 2 Corinthians 9:13 (NIV)
- “We were therefore buried with Him through baptism into death in order that
just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too
may hive a new life”. Romans 6:4 (NLT)